Happy almost September! If you are going on Vacation next week or the week after for Labor Day – please hold your shares, or ask me for help. As you can see from this week’s menu, we are segueing into Fall with Butternut Squash, Asian pears and the amazing Concord Grapes (I can hear some of you squealing with glee on the grapes!) And we have the tremendous forest-foraged chanterelles again!
I am still working on the Fall/Winter subscriptions and will have this up online this week for you with Early Bird specials! Partial seasons will be available for you if you think you might be moving or otherwise needing more flexibility in your season. Email me with questions. If you have friends who want in, tell them to sign up early as we expect the CSA to fill up quickly like it did last season.
Here is what we think is in the share -Mark says he knows this will change. Please know that our farmers are having a hard time with the harvest due to weather and labor shortages. We ask for your flexibility with changes. We will try to get these to you but often we don’t know until day of and they don’t always get to me (Suzi). I know last week there were a number of surprises! So thanks again for your patience.
PRODUCE * indicates small share. Produce is from Flores Family Farm (George, Omar and family) Hague, Va.
- Concord Grapes* – I know a lot of you have been waiting for these! They are amazing! They do have seeds – I just swallow them. Kids love them. They are also great juiced – dilute with sparkling water! Make easy small batch fridge jam! This recipe is good to save for all fruit.
- Peaches* – peach salad with grilled basil chicken (use the lemon basil) and balsamic honey vinaigrette
- Chinese Long Beans* – Sichuan style stir fried long beans use hot peppers from the share
- Serrano peppers* – perfect for salsas, sauces, relishes, garnishes, making hot sauce – here is a peach version
- Okra* – we love okra roasted – it comes out perfect and is not slimy at all!
- mushrooms* – chanterelles (foraged wild)* – Chef’s mushroom guy really found some great stuff this week. Check him out on our Facebook group. Here are some yummy things to do with them and some tips on cleaning.
- cherry tomatoes* – Roasted cherry tomatoes with garlic and black pepper – we have had these on heavy rotation all summer. We have been putting them on pasta this week and topped with the chanterelles.
- butternut squash* – make roasted butternut squash salad, 6 ingredient butternut Squash noodles
- potatoes* – skewered grilled potatoes
- Asian Pears* – these are delicous, crisp and juicy! try Asian pear crisp.
- bell peppers- bell pepper salad with fresh herbs (calls for dill but you could use anything!)
- garlic chive flowers – these are delicious and fun. Use them as you would garlic and chives!
- hot peppers -here are some great ideas – Make hot pepper infused vodka! ; smoke them!
- dandelion greens – not a weed but a delicious nutritious food! Here is some info about them and some cool ways to use them. also try sauteed dandelion greens with roasted fingerling potatoes;
- lemonbalm – Lemon balm aka Melissa, is in the mint family and its lemony herbiness is a powerhouse anti-viral that is also noted for mood support. You can make an easy fresh tea, or dry it to use later. It is also a great culilnary herb- you can chiffonade it and throw into salads and vinaigrettes, saute with fresh veggies and more.
- Asian pears
- Polyface Breakfast Links
- Ground beef
- chicken legs/thighs or Cornish hens
- Billy Bread rustic sourdough – Note that Billy Bread is now available to add on in the Bakery section! This week we have all the ingredients to make Panzanella Italian bread salad!
- Goat Chevre