Happy Labor Day Weekend! We are definitely moving into Fall with Acorn Squash, Asian pears, honey crisp apples and the amazing Concord Grapes. Mark says this menu will change as we are still getting available items in. But Here is what we think is in the share and will be at the Market this coming week. Please know that our farmers are having a hard time with the harvest due to weather and labor shortages. We ask for your flexibility and patience with changes.
I am finishing up on the Fall/Winter subscriptions – just waiting on a few more things from Mark – and am shooting to have this up on Monday for you. Early Bird specials! Partial seasons will be available for you if you think you might be moving or otherwise needing more flexibility in your season. We will have the same 3-4 installment plans earlly in the season as last time – if you need more than this to make it work for you, let me know. Email me with questions. If you have friends who want in, tell them to sign up early as we expect the CSA to fill up quickly like it did last season.
PRODUCE * indicates small share. Produce is from Flores Family Farm (George, Omar and family) Hague, Va.
- Concord Grapes* – I know a lot of you have been waiting for these! They are amazing! They do have seeds – I just swallow them. Kids love them. They are also great juiced – dilute with sparkling water! Make easy small batch fridge jam! This recipe is good to save for all fruit.
- Peaches* – peach salad with grilled basil chicken and balsamic honey vinaigrette; roasted peaches with ricotta buttercream
- Acorn squash* – roasted maple acorn squash with whipped riccotta; grilled acorn squash with smoky maple butter
- potatoes* – skewered grilled potatoes;
- Asian Pears* – these are delicous, crisp and juicy! try Asian pear crisp.
- zucchini/pattipan squash mix*- summer squash with ricotta and mint
- kale* – kale ricotta dip; kale and ricotta grandma pie; kale salad with spicy peanut dressing
- honey crisp apples*- this is one of our favorite eating apples! And here are some sweet and savory ideas for them if you don’t want to bite into them.
- cucumbers – creamy Turkish cucumber salad uses mint and yogurt
- mint – make a refreshing end of summer cucumber mint cocktail;
- black eye peas/purple hull peas – these will be shelled. Here is a mess of recipes that are interchangeable with the type of peas called for. They look amazing.
- Chuck Roast – something about pot roast that is just amazing. Here are a couple standout recipes to consider. Caribbean style (uses a jalapeno!); keto cuban style;
- whole broiler chicken – simplest roast chicken 8 ways – Mark Bittman; ways to use roast chicken
- Prairie Grain assorted
- Mt View ricotta – 20 ways! This also freezes well