Hello Members! Keep in mind this menu may change as we are still getting available items in. But Here is what we think is in the share. Please know that our farmers are having a hard time with the harvest due to weather and labor shortages. We ask for your flexibility with changes. We will try to get these to you but often we don’t know until day of and they don’t always get to me (Suzi). I know there have been surprises and disappointments – So thanks again for your patience.
A note on the Billy Bread — when you get it and you plan to keep it on the counter – please take it out of the plastic bag so that it can breathe. If it gets moisture trapped in there, it will mold. I keep mine the in the fridge in the plastic bag after the first day.
The Fall CSA is LIVE to join now. Tomorrow the Early Bird specials end so join today! Make sure you are signing up for Fall/Winter subscriptions and Winter pickup/delivery sites. Partial seasons will be available for you if you think you might be moving or otherwise needing more flexibility in your season. We will have the same 3-4 installment plans as last time – if you need more than this to make it work for you, let me know. Email me with questions. If you have friends who want in, tell them to sign up early as we expect the CSA to fill up quickly like it did last season.
Yard Signs – We will have yard signs at Eastern Market and Farm to Family Market and can drop off for you if you are home delivered. We get a tremendous response from this type of marketing. If you would like a yard sign – let us know. Thank you for sharing us with your neighbors and friends.
PRODUCE * indicates small share. Produce is from Flores Family Farm (George, Omar and family) Hague, Va. not a lot of recipes this week as I am working on our CSA for fall.
- cucumbers* – – creamy Turkish cucumber salad uses mint and yogurt
- Peaches* – peach salad with grilled basil chicken and balsamic honey vinaigrette; roasted peaches with ricotta buttercream
- Roma tomatoes* – raw tomato sauce with basil – this is one of my favorites over raw zuchini zoodles.
- green peppers*
- squash mix* – summer squash with ricotta and mint
- shishito peppers* – blistered in the air fryer. I did this and they are incredible. panroasted with garlic aioli.
- basil* – fresh tomato basil salsa
- hot peppers*
- honey crisp apples*- this is one of our favorite eating apples! And here are some sweet and savory ideas for them if you don’t want to bite into them.
- potatoes – skewered grilled potatoes
- okra – I have been making air fryer okra fries – so good. I put them in a bowl, swirl in my oil and then add a handful of Cheffy Salt. so good. you can also roast them.
- mint – make a refreshing end of summer cucumber mint cocktail;
- Grapes – I know a lot of you have been waiting for these! They are amazing! They do have seeds – I just swallow them. Kids love them. If you have a hard time with the seeds or the skin, they are also great juiced – dilute with sparkling water! Make easy small batch fridge jam! This recipe is good to save for all fruit.
- Chanterelle mushrooms* – with tagliatelle; here are some other selections from Food + Wine.
- Butter Beans* – maybe…..
- muscadine grapes
- chicken legs/thighs or ground beef
- Chuck Roast – something about pot roast that is just amazing. Here are a couple standout recipes to consider. Caribbean style (uses a jalapeno!); keto cuban style; OR whole broiler chicken – simplest roast chicken 8 ways – Mark Bittman; ways to use roast chicken
- Prairie Grain assorted
- Mt View baby swiss – grilled baby swiss and tomato sandwich I would throw on the roasted shishito peppers too!