Hi members! Things are starting to look like Summer, although the weather this winter was more like April! Welcome to our new members this week – we are so glad to have you! Late Spring/Summer holidays are coming up – if you are traveling, don’t forget to put your shares on hold.
Home Delivery – Richmond home delivery – your delivery day is TUESDAY this week.
Below is the preview menu, subject to change. Reminder – if something is wrong with your share/delivery, let us know right away so we can remedy it for you!
We are excited to bring a new farm this week – Woodside Farms, Hanover VA. Woodside Farms is located on a gorgeous 150 year old orchard and farm in the Chickahominy Falls over 50 community . Some old urban farm friends are there, so we are happy to be back working with him.
Rosa’s Garden is back this week – This woman-owned family operation have a story similiar to the Flores family – they started as migrant workers from Mexico in the fields of California, and have worked their way up to farm owners. We have known and worked with Rosa Nunez and her family for years and now support their growing business. Their farm is right in the heart of Hanover County’s famed sandy soil which is perfect for growing delicious Hanover Tomatoes and other veggies. Here is more on their story, and you can follow them on Instagram and Facebook.
Happy Cooking and Eating!
Suzi Miles + Mark Lilly and staff 🙂
PRODUCE – Produce is from Flores Family Farm (George, Omar and family) Hague, Va unless otherwise indicated.
- Garlic – Woodside Farms – Hanover, VA – Something to note: fresh garlic is so full of moisture that it actually cooks more quickly than older garlic. So be sure to use low, gentle heat and pay close attention while cooking. Click here to read more tips on preparing and storing fresh garlic this season.
- Curly Kale – Woodside Farms, Hanover, VA- garlicky kale salad
- Blueberries – Agriberry, Hanover, VA – I am sure these will be eaten by the time you get home. But here are some ideas: Blueberry Buckle; no churn blueberry graham cracker ice cream; double berry romaine smoothie
- Romaine lettuce – Woodside Farms, Hanover, VA grilled romaine with pimento cheese dressing – so delicious. green juice with cukes and apples
- beets – these are beautiful and easy to roast baby beets with delicious tops – don’t forget to eat those tops
- broccoli – lemon feta mashed broccoli (keto)
- Spring peas – shelled – Rosa’s Garden, Mechanicsville, VA These are delicate and should be eaten in the first 2 days of getting them. Pea pesto and pasta, creamed peas with mushrooms and onions
- zucchini –Rosa’s Garden, Mechanicsville, VA, Mechanicsville, VA – baked parmesan zucchini; healthy muffins
- mustard greens – these will be bright green with ruffled edges and have a little spicy kick for them. They can be eaten raw or cooked, but have more kick raw. Alice Waters’ white beans and wilted greens
- cucumbers – cucumber sandwich with tahini and avocado; Greek cucumber salad with yogurt and dill
- yellow squash – Rosa’s Garden, Mechanicsville, VA – easy grilled squash; pasta primavera
- mushrooms – sauteed power greens with mushrooms and garlic
FRUIT share –
- Strawberries – small batch strawberry vanilla jam; make dehydated strawberries in the dehydrator, oven or air fryer
- Blueberries – small batch blueberry muffins; oven dried blueberry fruit leather; cocktails
- pork short ribs – Asian short ribs (instant pot, slow cooker or oven braised)
- ground beef- Summer bolognese
- trout filets – boneless – the kids LOVE these. Mediterranean pan fried trout with tzatziki
- Prairie Grain sourdough sliced sandwich style – obviously the perfect bread for a grilled pimento cheese sandwich. grilled mushroom zucchini sandwich
- Cheese -Mt View Pimento cheese – southern fave!!! Obviously with crackers! Wonderful on a Chewy’s Bagel! But here are other ways to use it you might not have thought of.