Hi members! Welcome to our new members this week – we are so glad to have you! Summer holidays are coming up – if you are traveling, don’t forget to put your shares on hold. Just a reminder – we have CSA vacation August 11 and 18 – there will not be any CSA those weeks – please mark your calendar and make arrangements to feed your family if you are not on vacation those weeks. We hope you are loving the glorious abundance of summer fruit!!
Home Delivery – Richmond home delivery – your delivery day is TUESDAY this week.
Home Delivery Cooler Bins/Porch Pirates – Please try to have a cooler or bin out with ice for delivery people to leave your share in – some of you still do not have one out for us. With warmer temps, this will preserve your share, especially more delicate items. The bin method tucked away from your door (let us know where you want it) also helps to disguise your share if porch pirates roam your neighborhood looking for opportune booty – we have occasionally have shares stolen and we find this method effective.
Below is the preview menu, subject to change. If there are changes, we will try to update you. Reminder – if something is wrong with your share/delivery, let us know right away so we can remedy it for you!
Happy Cooking and Eating!
Suzi ~ Amina
PRODUCE – Produce is from Flores Family Farm (George, Omar and family) Hague; , Va unless otherwise indicated.
- Cherries – One of our favorite stone fruits with tons of vitamin C! These are wonderful just to eat, but if you want to get fancy, try: cherry sorbet; chilled cherry soup; make cocktails; fresh cherry galette with basil cream
- Blueberries – Agriberry, Hanover, VA – I am sure these will be eaten by the time you get home. But here are some ideas: blueberry basil crisp
- Basil – strawberry basil caprese salad, strawberry basil shrub and what to do with it; cherry basil sorbet
- Yellow Squash/Zucchini mix – Rosa’s Garden, Mechanicsville, VA, Mechanicsville, VA – DC member Abby says this zucchini smoothie recipe is delicious; baked parmesan zucchini; healthy muffins; prosciutto wrapped zucchini with balsamic drizzle;
- Chard – sauteed swiss chard and summer squash; 10 summer chard recipes
- Tuscan Kale – this is my favorite for kale chips. Have you tried them in the air fryer?
- red mustard greens – these originated in Asia and are delicious. Check out this Master Class on Mustard greens and 11 ways to prepare them
- cabbage – Try this ABC salad with almond butter, liquid aminos and ACV dressing – you can practically put the whole veggie share in here along with tofu or grilled tempeh. Here is another ABC salad, this time with blueberry lemon dressing (calls for napa cabbage, but I think regular green cabbage is fine. )
- garlic- balsamic roasted cabbage steaks with garlic,
- beets – https://simple-veganista.com/apple-beet-carrot-kale-salad/apple beet, carrot kale salad.
- mushrooms – mushroom, cabbage and garlic stir fry
FRUIT share – We are really rocking the fruit now! Here is a fancy dessert – Summer Pavlova with fresh and grilled berries.
- Strawberries –small batch strawberry basil jam; make dehydated strawberries in the dehydrator, oven or air fryer
- Blueberries – small batch blueberry muffins; oven dried blueberry fruit leather; cocktails
- Cherries – balsamic cherry preserves; cherry basil kombucha
- whole chicken – roasted chicken with red fruit sauce
- Trout Filets – boneless – the kids LOVE these. Mediterranean pan fried trout with tzatziki; Crispy Fish with Scallions and Peppers
- Prairie Grain – Sour Dough sliced sandwich Bread – basil chicken salad sandwich
- Cheese – raw cheddar mix — Make Pimento cheese – this is the recipe for the Pasture Pimento Cheese. 1 ½ lbs. sharp cheddar cheese, grated1 medium red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded, and finely diced1 small shallot, minced2 sprigs tarragon, leaves removed, and minced1 ¼ cup mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s Mayonnaise2 dashes Worcestershire sauce1 dash hot pepper sauce1 tsp. black pepperCombine all ingredients very well in a large mixing bowl. Chill for at least 2 hours, or up to one day. Serve with crackers, pickles, and crudités.