Hi members! Welcome to our new members this week – we are so glad to have you!
Summer holidays – if you are traveling, don’t forget to put your shares on hold. Just a reminder – our CSA vacation is August 11th and 18th – there will not be any CSA those weeks. Please mark your calendars and make arrangements to feed your family if you are not on vacation those weeks. We hope you are loving the glorious abundance of summer fruit!!
Home Delivery – Richmond home delivery – your delivery day is Wednesday.
- Cooler Bins/Porch Pirates – Please try to have a cooler or bin out with ice for delivery people to leave your share in – some of you still do not have one out for us. With warmer temps, this will preserve your share, especially more delicate items. The bin method tucked away from your door (let us know where you want it) also helps to disguise your share if porch pirates roam your neighborhood looking for opportune booty – we have occasionally had shares stolen and we find this method an effective deterrant.
Below is the preview menu, subject to change. Reminder – if something is wrong with your share/delivery, let us know right away so we can remedy it for you!
Happy Cooking and Eating!
PRODUCE – Produce is from Flores Family Farm (George, Omar and family) Hague; , Va unless otherwise indicated.
- Peaches – grilled honey basil peaches with ricotta,
- Blueberries – Agriberry, Hanover, VA – I am sure these will be eaten by the time you get home. But here are some ideas: blueberry basil crisp
- Cherries – One of our favorite stone fruits with tons of vitamin C! These are wonderful just to eat, but if you want to get fancy, try: cherry sorbet; chilled cherry soup; make cocktails; fresh cherry galette with basil cream
- Basil – strawberry basil caprese salad, strawberry basil shrub and what to do with it; cherry basil sorbet
- Yellow Squash/Zucchini Mix – Rosa’s Garden, Mechanicsville, VA, Mechanicsville, VA – DC member Abby says this zucchini smoothie recipe is delicious; baked parmesan zucchini; healthy muffins; prosciutto wrapped zucchini with balsamic drizzle;
- Tuscan Kale – Try this recipe forKale Chips, these make for a quick healthy and delicious snack.Or this Tuscan Kale Salad.
- Pickling Cucumber – Try this collection of 25 different creative pickling recipes!
- Spring Onions – zucchini fritter with spring onions
- Cabbage – Try this ABC salad with almond butter, liquid aminos and ACV dressing – you can practically put the whole veggie share in here along with tofu or grilled tempeh. Here is another ABC salad, this time with blueberry lemon dressing (calls for napa cabbage, but I think regular green cabbage is fine. )
- Aloe – we try to have aloe a couple times in the summer – it is a powerhouse of healing both internally and externally – especially for gut tissues, skin and detox. It is great for first aid – you can cut a piece and cool off sunburn or bug bite skin. Here’s some dos and don’ts. Here’s 15 recipes including a cucumber aloe martini!
- Daikon- daikon is a thick white radish and one of Mark’s favorites. It comes to us from Asia and is versatile – it can be cooked, pickled or used raw. It can be grated into salads, pickled and put on tacos, or grilled and braised into stews. Here are some more ideas.
FRUIT share – We are really rocking the fruit now!
Here is a fancy dessert – Summer Pavlova with fresh and grilled berries
- Strawberries –small batch strawberry basil jam; make dehydated strawberries in the dehydrator, oven or air fryer
- Blueberries – small batch blueberry muffins; oven dried blueberry fruit leather; cocktails
- Cherries – balsamic cherry preserves; cherry basil kombucha
- Polyface Breakfast links
- Beef steaks – rib eye/NY Strip
- Chewy’s – Everything Bagels