Welcome to our new members this week – we are so glad to have you!
Summer holidays – if you are traveling, don’t forget to put your shares on hold. Just a reminder – our CSA vacation is August 11th and 18th – there will NOT be any CSA those weeks. Please mark your calendars and make arrangements to feed your family if you are not on vacation those weeks. We hope you are loving the glorious abundance of summer fruit!!
Home Delivery – Richmond home delivery – your delivery day is TUESDAY.
Cooler Bins/Porch Pirates – Please try to have a cooler or bin out with ice for delivery people to leave your share in – some of you still do not have one out for us. With warmer temps, this will preserve your share, especially more delicate items. The bin method tucked away from your door (let us know where you want it) also helps to disguise your share if porch pirates roam your neighborhood looking for opportune booty – we have occasionally had shares stolen and we find this method an effective deterrant.
Below is the preview menu, subject to change. Reminder – if something is wrong with your share/delivery, let us know right away so we can remedy it for you!
Happy Cooking and Eating!
PRODUCE – Produce is from Flores Family Farm (George, Omar and family) Hague; , Va unless otherwise indicated.
- Cantaloupes – cantaloupe banana smoothie with yogurt
- Watermelon – slice and eat! Or gazpacho with fresh basil. -or watermelon salad with basil and blueberries (or blackberries)
- Blackberries – Agriberry, Hanover, VA – you are going to pop these right in your mouth! we encourage you to eat your berries quickly, as they are fragile and may not hold up. Try Blackberry pie bars.
- Hanover tomatoes Rosa’s Garden, Mechanicsville, VA – These are world renowned! Make a Sammie! Top them with chevre! Make tomato shortcake stacks with the fresh mozzarella!
- cherry tomatoes –fast and easy blistered cherry tomatoes and pasta
- Malabar spinach – this is a great hot weather green – here is more info and recipes
- Leeks – make Vichyssoise!
- Okra – Do you love Okra! We sure do too! It is wonderful grilled, sauteed, roasted and fried (try it in the air fryer!) Here is Okra and tomatoes.
- Shishito Peppers – these are on every farm to table menu these days – they are EXCELLENT grilled or blistered in a hot pan and paired with a cold beverage of your choice. Heat note: Most of them are NOT hot, but every once in a while you will get a spicy one.
- Poblano peppers – These are one of my favorite peppers to work with, as they have JUST enough heat to be interesting, but not enough to be uncomfortable. These are great to stuff.
- Red Potatoes – Try no mayo potato salad with basil vinaigrette; skewer and grill with garlic and rosemary
- Basil – I love this raw tomato sauce with basil – it is so delicious you can also eat it like a soup, or put it over zoodles.
FRUIT share – We are really rocking the fruit now!
- Ground Beef
- Duck and pork sausage
Prairie Grain Mix
Cheese – fresh mozzarella – y.u.m.