We source local, mostly Virginia grown foods and artisan products that are hand-raised or crafted. The furthest we travel regularly to farms and food producers is 168.27 miles to Bolar, VA for maple syrup and the closest is our urban farm, BusFarm. Our meats, dairy, poultry and eggs are hand-raised, pastured, raised without hormones or antibiotics. Some produce is USDA Certified Organic or Certified Naturally Grown, some of it is “organically minded” low spray, but uncertified, bio-intensive and occasionally bio-dynamic. Some of our farmers use integrative pest management and other natural methods to battle pests, mold, fungus.
If you have more questions about the food we sell, our farmers or vendors, please ask us.
We are always looking for someone to ride “shotgun” on our trips to the farms, volunteer at the market or Bus Farm, and help out on our CSA drops. Call Mark if you are interested 804-397-7337.
What’s in Season
Here is a great seasonal chart for Virginia (PDF) from the Virginia Department of Agriculture.
What We Carry
Below is a list of all of our farmers and vendors along with their websites or social media page (if available) and a brief description of their farming practice and/or certifications. We work very closely with our farmers and have gotten to know them and their farms well. If you require more information on our farmers, vendors and their products, just ask us. Please know that ALL of our farmers are available to answer any of your questions that we can’t, and all also welcome visitors, if you call ahead and schedule a visit.
Grass-fed Meats and Pastured Dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs, butter) – All of our meat, dairy + eggs are considered to be beyond organic, with no hormones, antibiotics and raised by hand.
Special order meats are available upon request.
- Polyface Farms – Swope, VA – hen eggs, chicken, beef, pork
- Edmond’s Farm – Lancaster, VA – bison + pork, hen eggs (soy free)
- Mt. View Farm – Fairfield, VA – “meow” pet milk, raw cheese (aged 60 days), cultured butter, ice cream
- Goats r Us – Blackstone, VA – pasteurized goat cheese + goat meat
- Peachy Family Farm – Goat meat, goats milk cheese, goats milk gelato (Amish)
- Flores Family Farm – (George, Omar and family) Hague , Va
- Rosa’s Garden – Rosalina Nunez and family, Mechanicsville, VA
- Pampatike Organic Farm – King William, VA – eggs, vegetables, honey
- Promise Land Pastures – Mechanicsvile, VA – eggs
- Sky View Acres – Pastured poultry + eggs, rabbit, grass-fed beef
- Virginia Trout Company – trout
- Shenandoah Family Farms Co-op – Dayton, VA – certified USDA organic free range duck eggs (Mennonite)
- Harmony Hill Farm – Glen Allen, VA – pastured Chicken, eggs